Oklahoma running back Joe Mixon finally addressed the media on Friday to talk about punching Amelia Molitor. Below are my thoughts and reactions, along with the video of the press conference.
Thoughts and reactions to Joe Mixon press conference
- I thought Mixon did show great remorse in this video. While I was very critical of Mixon and Bob Stoops earlier this week, this press conference from Mixon was the right thing to do and was a step in the right direction for the young man.
- With that being said: WHERE was this two and a half years ago? Lawyers, lawyers, lawyers… always blame the lawyers. But, former Florida State QB De’Andre Johnson was kicked off the team for punching a woman at a bar, and a week later he was addressing the media apologizing. It could have been done and it should have been done by Mixon’s camp.
- Why wasn’t Bob Stoops, Joe Castiglione and David Boren standing up there with Mixon? They should have been because much of the outrage the past week has been against those three, even more so than Mixon.
- I’m glad the University had Mixon wearing an OU shirt and used the OU flag mic. They did not shy away from this and they should not have based on their decisions.
- Mixon was asked a trick question about if “Ms. Molitor should apologize as well.” He rightly said it’s just about me and I’m here to do what’s best for me.
- Seeing Mixon get choked up when talking about his teammates was powerful.
- “It’s never OK to hit a woman. Never. I would preach that to anyone. It’s never OK.” Good, Joe. Once again… if only we got this 2 and a half years ago, it would all have been old news by now. Who knows, maybe Mixon wanted to do this 2 and a half years ago, but his lawyers advised against it. We’ll never know. But, someone screwed this whole thing up.
- He said he’s not worried about the NFL right now. I actually believed him when he said this. This press conference leads me to believe it is part of a plan to have Mixon return. The flip side, if Mixon was planning to get to the NFL, this press conference was necessary as well.
- Joe Mixon clearly appears to have matured and grown up. I still don’t know why he sent out those tweets prior to the 2015 season regarding about how this season was for his “haters”. That was one of the stupidest things he could have done.
- I still believe the University screwed up in keeping Mixon on campus, but, hopefully all parties can move on and move forward whenever the time allows.
Oklahoma Sooners running back Joe Mixon apology press conference
**If you want a chance to win FREE Big 12 gear from your favorite team, be sure to sign up for our weekly newsletter! **
You must be a registered user to view and leave comments. Sign Up now!