It’s been just over a week since Big 12 media days ended, and the staff at Heartland College Sports has released out Big 12 preseason football poll.
1. Oklahoma State (3) 57
2. Oklahoma (2) 52
3. West Virginia (1) 44
4. Kansas State 43
5. Texas 39
6. TCU 34
7. Baylor 21
8. Iowa State 18
9. Texas Tech 12
10. Kansas 10
Big 12 Coach of the Year: Mike Gundy
After winning the Big 12 conference title the past two seasons, Oklahoma is not picked as the favorite in the Heartland College Sports preseason Big 12 football poll to win the 2017 Big 12 championship. That honor goes to the Oklahoma State Cowboys, who took home three of six first-place votes and tallied 57 points. Oklahoma landed two first place votes, along with 52 points. The Mountaineers picked up one first-place vote and edged out Kansas State for third place in the poll.
In fact, three through 6 were only separated by 10 points.
Some of the interesting outliers from the Big 12 preseason football poll, while keeping the poll anonymous:
– Dana Holgorsen and Tom Herman each received a vote for Big 12 Coach of the Year.
– One poll had the Kansas Jayhawks picked to finish in 7th place ahead of (in order), Iowa State, Baylor and Texas Tech.
– Oklahoma State was picked first or second by every voter
– One poll had the Sooners picked to finish in 5th place
– Two polls had Iowa State picked to finish 7th in the Big 12 ahead of Baylor, Kansas and Texas Tech
– The highest the Texas Longhorns were picked was 3rd place by one poll
– Texas Tech received one last-place vote
Comparatively, the Big 12 preseason football media poll picked the West Virginia Mountaineers as sixth, while our poll has them at third. Their poll also projects the Sooners to be Big 12 champions this fall.
**If you want a chance to win FREE Big 12 gear from your favorite team, be sure to sign up for our weekly newsletter! **