Despite the loss of Heisman winner Baker Mayfield and lots of other key players, Heartland College Sports is predicting the Oklahoma Sooners to win the Big 12 Conference for a fourth-straight season.
The Sooners picked up four of our five first place votes, with West Virginia coming in second place, followed by Iowa State, TCU and Texas rounding out the top 5. After the Longhorns, the Kansas State Wildcats come in 6th, with Oklahoma State, Baylor, Texas Tech and Kansas wrapping up the ten teams.
The top two teams after league play will compete in the in the Big 12 Football Championship Game on Saturday, December 1 in Arlington, Texas at AT&T Stadium.
2018 Heartland College Sports Preseason Poll
- Oklahoma Sooners (4)
- West Virginia Mountaineers (1)
- Iowa State Cyclones
- TCU Horned Frogs
- Texas Longhorns
- Kansas State Wildcats
- Oklahoma State Cowboys
- Baylor Bears
- Texas Tech Red Raiders
- Kansas Jayhawks
- Kansas was unanimously picked the finish in last place.
- The team with the most disparity between voters was the Texas Longhorns who were picked anywhere from 2nd place to 8th place.
- Iowa State was picked 7th in the major media poll, but 3rd in ours after the five voters picked the Cyclones in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th.
- Iowa State and TCU were separated by just one single voter point.
- Baylor was another team with a wide margin as one voter picked them 4th and two others picked the Bears to finish 9th.
- TCU was picked as high as 2nd and as low as 7th.
- Oklahoma and Kansas State were very consistent. The Sooners had four 1st-place votes and one 2nd-place vote. Kansas State was between 5 and 7 of every poll.
**Sign up here for our HCS weekly e-mails for a chance to win FREE Heartland College Sports and Big 12 team gear!!**