Big 12 Sports Articles

Kansas Upends Texas Tech with Wild Finish in Lawrence

NCAA Football: Texas Tech at Kansas

When the Big 12 kickoff times for this weekend were released last week, I am sure many people around the Big 12 were asking why this match up was the prime-time game for the conference. It was a sleepy game (on paper) with a 3-4 Texas Tech team who has been missing their starting quarterback for weeks taking on a 2-5 Kansas team. Sure, neither team is where they want to be right now, but there is no doubt that these teams are playing better than their record indicates. Well, you could throw out the records because there was some great football going on in Lawrence, Kansas on Saturday night. 

There wasn’t much I could say at first because the first quarter was as snoozer for both teams. Texas Tech had the lone score of the first quarter as running back SaRodorick Thompson scored from 1-yard out. The Tech offense would pickup in the second quarter as they were able to add ten more points on the board thanks to a Trey Wolff field goal and a Jett Duffey 9-yard touchdown pass to McLane Mannix as the Red Raiders jumped out to a 17-0 lead in Lawrence. 

After a pick to start the game and three straight punts, the Kansas offense finally found some life after getting down 17-0. Before the first half ended, the Jayhawks put together a nice seven play drive that was capped off by a quarterback Carter Stanley touchdown run and a 48-yard touchdown strike from Stanley to Stephon Robinson Jr. to make it a 17-14 game at the break. 


Texas Tech didn’t mess around after halftime because on their very first drive of the second half, Jett Duffey hit T.J. Vasher for a 19-yard touchdown pass to put Tech up 24-14. Immediately after their scoring drive, Tech put together one of the most impressive drives I have seen this season in terms of ball control as the offense went on a fifteen play drive that lasted six minutes and thirty-four seconds but ultimately resulted in a field goal as the Red Raiders extended their lead to 27-14.

Just as things were looking bleak once again for Kansas, they used more of their big play magic as Carter Stanley hit Stephon Robinson Jr. once again for a long touchdown score this time, to a tune of 65-yards. However, Kansas wasn’t done with the big plays because after the long touchdown to Robinson Jr., it was Andrew Parchment’s turn to catch a touchdown pass as his went for a tune of 70-yards. Very quickly, this ball game was tied at 27 (Blocked PAT included) with 13:42 left to play. 

Much like a tennis match, this was a back and fourth type of game and that proved to be true once again because just as the Jayhawks tied the game up, Texas Tech quarterback Jett Duffey hit Dalton Rigdon for a 48-yard touchdown to recapture the lead at 34-27. It would take a little while for Kansas to answer back but they certainly did when running back Velton Gardner dashed his way for a 32-yard touchdown to tie the game at 34 with just about five minutes left. 

The Jayhawks defense would force a Texas Tech three and out and suddenly, Kansas had the ball with about four minutes left with the game tied up. Kansas would go down the field and set up kicker Liam Jones for a 40-yard attempt with just thirteen seconds left. The kick would be blocked as Texas Tech’s Douglas Coleman would pick up the football and on the return he would attempt to pitch the football back but his arm was hit as the live football hit the ground and it was recovered by Kevin Feder for Kansas with just two ticks left on the clock. Kansas had yet another opportunity to win the game and they did as Liam Jones nailed a 32-yard field goal as time expired. Kansas would win their first conference game of the season 37-34 in Lawrence.

**We now have FREE Big 12 Forums here at Heartland College Sports. Go sign up here and join our conversation! **

To Top