The Big 12 Conference spent last week clarifying its tiebreaker rules ahead of its Week 12 games. There was confusion around who held what tiebreakers. But after Week 12 wrapped up on Saturday, the Big 12 released its tiebreaker scenarios so it’s clear heading into the final weekend what has to happen for each team still in contention to be able to make the Big 12 Championship Game.
Here’s what the Big 12 released on Sunday.
Scenarios for the Football Championship surrounding Big 12 matchups on Friday, November 24:
- Oklahoma remains in contention with either a win or a loss against TCU.
- Texas will clinch both a berth to the Championship and a #1 seed (home team) with a win over Texas Tech.
If Texas wins and clinches a berth on Friday, the following scenarios apply surrounding Big 12 matchups on Saturday, November 25:
- If Oklahoma State defeats BYU, the Cowboys clinch a berth to the Championship as the #2 seed (vs. Texas).
- If Oklahoma defeats TCU on Friday and that win is followed by a Texas win AND an Oklahoma State loss, the Sooners clinch a berth to the Championship as the #2 seed (vs. Texas).
- If Kansas State defeats Iowa State on Saturday following a Texas win, AND a loss by Oklahoma, AND a loss by Oklahoma State, the Wildcats clinch a berth to the Championship as the #2 seed (vs. Texas).
If Texas Tech wins on Friday, the following scenarios apply surrounding Big 12 matchups on Saturday, November 25:
- No team can clinch a bid to the Championship until Saturday.
- Texas can still clinch a berth to the Championship if two of the three two-loss teams (Kansas State / Oklahoma / Oklahoma State) LOSE on Friday and / or Saturday. Texas and the remaining winning team of those three will qualify for the Championship.
- If Texas loses on Friday, and two or three two-loss teams WIN amongst Kansas State / Oklahoma / Oklahoma State on Friday and / or Saturday, there will be three or four teams tied for both Championship berths. Multiple scenarios exist in this circumstance contingent on which teams remain in the tiebreaker pool.
As the Big 12 noted, there is still a chance for complete chaos, in the final scenario noted above, but we will cross that bridge if and when we get there.
But this is exactly what Pete Mundo suggested in his five Big 12 takeaways article from Sunday and what he discussed in the Week 12 reaction show below. Make sure you check it out and subscribe to our YouTube channel!