Big 12 News

TCU WR Dozie Ezukanma Claims Ex-Teammate ‘Sucker Punched’ Him

TCU Horned Frogs Graphic

TCU wide receiver Dozie Ezukanma has spoken publicly following the locker-room altercation involving former Horned Frogs safety Jacob Fields.

Fields was dismissed from the TCU football program earlier this week for what the school described as a violation of team rules. The move came after an incident inside the Horned Frogs’ locker room that was reported to TCU police and classified as an alleged aggravated assault involving “hands, feet or fists.”

Ezukanma was the other player involved in the altercation and had reportedly been hospitalized following the incident. With TCU’s season opener against North Carolina in Dublin just one week away, Ezukanma addressed the situation publicly.

In a since-deleted video posted to Instagram user’s Yesukristoblackjesus’ page, Ezukanma is with another person recapping what happened with Fields. In another video the man refers to Ezukanma as his son, but the Fort Worth Star-Telegram could not verify his identity.

Ezukanma said Fields “sucker punched” him during the altercation and that the punch caused him to fall and hit his head on the ground, knocking him unconscious.

“I got sucker punched,” Ezukanma said in the video.

Ezukanma also disputed the idea that he had been bullying or targeting Fields before the incident, a narrative that had circulated in the days after news of the altercation became public.

According to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Ezukanma said in the video that he wanted to address the situation because of the rumors that had been spreading about what happened.

Fields’ Apology

The video also shows an alleged screenshot of Fields texting Ezukanma a lengthy apology. “I apologize for how I went about this situation,” the screenshot reads. “I made an emotional decision cause of how I felt I played the last few practices. The last thing on my mind was for this to be the end result in this situation…. I know I [expletive] up, and I want you to know I never meant for this to turn out the way it did.” The text message ends with a signature of “JFields.”

A source close to Fields confirmed to the Star-Telegram that the texts did come from Fields.

Off-Field Distraction for TCU

The situation has created an unexpected distraction for TCU on the eve of the 2026 season. Fields, who transferred to Fort Worth from Louisiana Tech during the offseason, was expected to play a significant role in the Horned Frogs’ secondary and potentially replace former All-Big 12 safety Bud Clark.

TCU confirmed Fields’ dismissal earlier this week, saying he had been removed from the roster and would no longer be a member of the football program. Fields’ agent, Philip Miller, subsequently pushed back against some of the speculation surrounding the incident, saying that a significant amount of what had circulated on social media was either false or speculative.

The police investigation into the incident remains open and active.

For TCU, attention now turns toward the field. The Horned Frogs open the season on Saturday, August 29 against North Carolina in Dublin, Ireland, in a rematch of TCU’s victory over Bill Belichick and the Tar Heels last season.

Ezukanma’s availability for the season opener remains a question following the altercation.

Most Popular

To Top